There are several natural remedies that may help alleviate coughing and the symptoms of a cold or the flu. Some popular natural cough remedies include:
- Honey: Consuming a teaspoon of honey or mixing it with warm tea may help soothe a sore throat and calm a cough.
- Lemon: Squeezing the juice of a lemon into a glass of warm water and adding a pinch of salt or honey can also help relieve a sore throat and reduce coughing.
- Ginger: Drinking ginger tea or taking ginger supplements may help reduce coughing and relieve congestion.
- Steam: Inhaling steam from a hot shower or using a humidifier can help loosen mucus and reduce coughing.
- Onion: Boiling a sliced onion in water for 10 minutes and then consuming the liquid can also help relieve a cough.
- Turmeric: Mixing a teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk is also known to be effective in relieving cough and cold.
It's worth noting that these remedies may provide symptomatic relief, but to cure the underlying cause of the cough, you should see a medical professional. Additionally, some remedies may not be suitable for children, pregnant and breastfeeding women, or people with certain medical conditions, so it's always best to consult with a healthcare professional before trying any natural remedy.
Natural Cough Remedies with Ajwain for Everyone
Carom seeds, also known as Ajwain seeds, can be used in a warm water remedy to help alleviate coughing. To make the remedy, you can:
- Heat a cup of water in a pot until it comes to a boil.
- Add a teaspoon of carom seeds to the water and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Strain the mixture and let it cool to a comfortable drinking temperature.
- Add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of honey (if desired) and drink the mixture.
The warm water and carom seeds help to soothe a sore throat and the expectorant properties of carom seeds help to loosen mucus, making it easier to cough up and clear. The remedy may also help relieve chest congestion. Keep in mind that this remedy is not scientifically proven and it's always best to consult with a healthcare professional before trying any natural remedy.
- Drinking plenty of fluids to stay hydrated and help loosen mucus.
- Resting to allow the body to heal.
- Over-the-counter cough medicine to suppress the cough reflex.
- Inhaling steam to help open up the airways and relieve congestion.
- Using a humidifier to add moisture to the air and help relieve dry throat and cough.
- Gargling with warm salt water to help soothe a sore throat.
- Consuming spicy foods or drinks that contain capsaicin, a compound found in chili peppers, which can help relieve a cough.
- Taking over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, to help relieve any pain or discomfort associated with a cough.
- Applying Vicks VapoRub on the chest and throat to help relieve cough symptoms.
- Seeking medical attention if the cough persists for more than a couple of weeks or if it is accompanied by other symptoms such as fever, chest pain, or difficulty breathing.